“Become a Kid Lit Rock Star”
January 13-15, 2017
General Info from A-Z
ATTENDING THE CONFERENCE:
HOW TO REGISTER: Register online at register.scbwiflorida.com and follow the prompts to pay online. If you prefer to use snail-mail, download the registration form and mail it, along with a check payable to SCBWI Florida, to: SCBWI Florida, 125 E. Merritt Island Causeway #107, Box 266, Merritt Island, FL 32952.
DATES TO REMEMBER:
DEC. 1, 2016: EARLY REGISTRATION to be entered to win, critiques, pins, or books!
DEC. 9, 2016: EARLY REGISTRATION TO SAVE MONEY!
DEC. 9, 2016 LAST DAY FOR CRITIQUES!
DEC. 10 2016: ALL COSTS GO UP $25!
FULL CONFERENCE begins Friday, January 13, at 4:30 PM and runs through Sunday, January 15, at 2:00 PM.
COMPREHENSIVES on Friday, January 13 run from 9-4 PM.
· FULL CONFERENCE (DOES NOT include Friday Comprehensives). SCBWI members pay $275, ($300 for non-members).
· SATURDAY ONLY, SCBWI members pay $205 ($230 for non-members).
· SUNDAY ONLY, SCBWI members pay $80 ($105 for non-members).
· FRIDAY COMPREHENSIVE attendance (for SCBWI members only) ADD $215 to your FULL CONFERENCE cost. Or pay $240 for the Comprehensive only.
*NOTE: All costs go up $25 at midnight, December 9, 2016
COMPREHENSIVE DETAILS: Friday, January 15 from 9-4 PM. A star-studded faculty lineup spends an extra day focusing on the craft of writing or illustrating. The fee includes a buffet lunch and a first-page critique session (see submission guidelines under First Page Critiques). In order to attend, participants must be SCBWI members.
· Illustrator Intensive: Presented by Maria Middleton and Mark Teague. This Comprehensive is specifically designed for illustrators only! Come learn the ins and outs of creating stunning and memorable artwork for children’s books in a close-knit, hands-on setting. (Limited to 20 participants)
· Picture Book Intensive: Presented by Jane Yolen, Heidi Stemple, and Kelsey Murphy. This Comprehensive will guide participants through an in-depth, hands-on look at successful, picture book writing in today’s market. (Limited to 28 participants)
· Novel Comprehensive: Presented by Allison Moore, Jacquelyn Mitchard, and Lorin Oberweger. This Comprehensive is a must for any middle grade or YA writer hoping to hammer their manuscripts into publishable shape. (Limited to 30 participants)
1) SEND AS AN ATTACHMENT, ONE manuscript per email in .DOC format (up to 10 pp). You must FOLLOW FORMATING GUIDELINES (see "From Keyboard to Printed Page: Facts You Need to Know" at http://www.scbwi.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/From-Keyboard_2014.pdf.
2) If you are submitting multiple manuscripts or the same manuscript more than once, SEND EACH ONE ATTACHED TO A SEPARATE EMAIL.
3) The cost is $50 per manuscript critique. Pay online when you register. Or if you register by mail or add manuscripst, send your check, payable to SCBWI Florida, to: SCBWI Florida, 125 E. Merritt Island Causeway, Suite 107, Box #266, Merritt Island, FL 32952.
4) If you are submitting a novel, please submit the FIRST 10 pages. If you want to submit a synopsis of the novel along with your pages, the full submission MUST BE NO LONGER THAN 10 PAGES TOTAL.
5) Although picture book manuscripts and poems may have fewer than 10 pp, each one counts as a separate submission.
6) Send to email@example.com with the subject line as YOUR NAME, TITLE OF THE BOOK, CATEGORY, GENRE, and either WIP (Work in Progress) or COMPLETE. For example: J.K. Rowling, The Sorceror’s Stone, MG, Fantasy, Complete.
7) In the body of the email, please tell us who has critiqued your manuscript before, i.e., critiquers at previous conferences, members of your critique group who might be critiquing at our conference, etc. Also, if you have an agent and/or have been traditionally published, please let us know. This will help us make a better match for you.
8) If there is something you want your critiquer to know, i.e., biographical information or info regarding the fact that your manuscript is part of a series, DO NOT WRITE IT IN THE BODY OF THE EMAIL, include it as part of your ten pages.
9) Submissions must be emailed by midnight December 9, 2016. You will receive an automatic reply when you send in your manuscript. Closer to the conference, you will receive an email letting you know who will be critiquing your manuscript and at what time. CRITIQUES ARE DONE ONLY ON SATURDAY AFTER THE WORKSHOPS.
10) We do NOT honor requests for specific critiquers.
1) Illustrators, if you’d like a professional critique of your portolio, sketch dummy, or finished artsamples for a picture book, you MUST send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: SCBWI Florida Artwork/Portfolio Review by December 9, 2016, stating that you want to be scheduled for a critique.
2) The cost is $50 per critique. Pay online when you register. Or if you register by mail, send your check, payable to SCBWI Florida, to: SCBWI Florida, 125 E. Merritt Island Causeway, Suite 107, Box #266, Merritt Island, FL 32952.
3) Bring your artwork/portfolio to the workshop on Saturday, January 14, 2017. Do NOT mail your art ahead of time.
4) You will receive an email in advance as to who will be critiquing your work and at what time. CRITIQUES ARE DONE ONLY ON SATURDAY AFTER THE WORKSHOPS.
Bring the first page of your manuscript, double-spaced, 12-pt. type, one page only (starting at the top of page) to the registration desk before 4:30 PM on Friday, January 13. Include the title of the piece and genre at the top. No name. Panelists will select a few anonymous submissions to read aloud and critique on Friday at 5 PM. If your submission was read aloud at a Comprehensive, please submit a different piece for this panel. LIMIT ONE SUBMISSION FOR FRIDAY’S PANEL and ONE SUBMISSION FOR A FRIDAY COMPREHENSIVE. All submissions will be recycled afterwards.
Sheraton Miami Airport Hotel (3900 NW 21st St., Miami, FL 33142). Rooms are $175/night for a single/double and $195/night for a triple/quad. For reservations, call the hotel at 305-871-3800 or 1-844-292-7757. A free shuttle runs from the airport to the hotel every 15 minutes during the day and every 30 minutes at night.
Below is a list of what to expect for each meal:
· Friday: Buffet lunch included in the hotel’s Rickenbacker Restaurant with Comprehensive registration.
· Friday Night Reception: Buses will take us to Books & Books where there will be a cash bar and snacks. Dine on your own in Coral Gables following the reception. Buses between Books & Books and the hotel will run every half hour up until 10 PM.
· Saturday: Buffet breakfast in the hotel’s Rickenbacker Restaurant is included with hotel registration (meal ticket received at check-in). Coffee and tea included outside conference room all morning for all attendees. Lunch buffet will be served for all attendees at the hotel’s Rickenbacker Restaurant.
· Saturday Dinner: Dinner included for FULL CONFERENCE ATTENDEES ONLY. Cash bar. (Dinner/ball ticket received at conference desk.)
· Saturday Only Attendees: Lunch included. If you wish to attend the Saturday night dinner/ball, you may purchase a ticket for $50 at the registration desk. You may also purchase a ticket for guests at $50 per ticket.
Our newsletter, written by Mindy Weiss and Kristina Miranda, is available at www.scbwi.florida.org and is chock full of member good news, market information, and the latest word on conferences, contests, and events happening all around the state!
Add our SCBWI Florida Regional Conference 2017 pin to your collection! Each year, we feature a different illustrator, and this year’s pin will be designed by Mark Teague. Proceeds from the sale help finance free events around Florida.
Illustrators: take advantage of table space provided for you to exhibit your portfolio. Bring plenty of handouts and display props (such as a tabletop easel). Original art is not permitted, as SCBWI cannot be responsible for any loss or damage. Drop off illustrators’ portfolios on January 14 before 8:30 AM outside the main conference room for the art show. Please contact Linda Shute email@example.com by December 15, 2016 if you want to display your portfolio.
Contact SCBWI Co-Regional Advisor Linda Rodriguez Bernfeld at (321) 338-7208 or LindaBernfeld@gmail.com or Co-Regional Advisor Dorian Cirrone at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Since we cannot control the temperature in the conference rooms, you may want to bring a sweater.
· Overnight parking, $15; daily parking, $7.
· Bring a new or gently-used children’s or YA book to put in our donation basket which will be donated to a community development organization dedicated to empowering young minds to transform their communities.
· Check the website and social media as we get close to the conference for agendas and homework.
ROCKIN’ CELEBRITY LOOK-ALIKE BALL
Get your Glamour on and walk the Rockin’ Red Carpet to our annual costume contest. The winner will win a free critique! Dance and dine from 7:30-11 PM. Our Saturday night parties are an SCBWI FL tradition! Tickets for those not attending the FULL CONFERENCE will be available for $50 at registration.
SALES OF BOOKS
Faculty and SCBWI members attending the conference may sell their books through our on-site bookseller, Books & Books. Contact Rob Sanders at email@example.com with your book titles/ISBN numbers by December 15, 2016. PAL (Published and Listed) members are eligible to sell two books. (Please visit www.scbwi.org to ensure your publisher is PAL-approved.) Self-published authors and those whose publishers who do not allow returns may sell one book. Please contact Rob Sanders to find out who to speak to at Books & Books to work out an agreement to sell on consignment at the conference. The conference bookstore will be open Friday through Sunday.
Our book signing closes the conference on January, 15, from 1-2 PM. Come mingle and meet your favorite authors, illustrators, and faculty members. Get your books signed and photographs taken—a great way to end the weekend!
Visit this website, www.florida.scbwi.org, for updates and more information and FAQs.
There are two Sunday workshops. The first runs from 9-10:30 AM and the second runs from 10:45-12:15 PM. See our keynote and workshop topics link to find a list of speakers as well as titles and descriptions of their workshops. Once you get to the registration site, you may choose which workshops you want to sign up for.