(Please read carefully and follow instructions in order to get the most from the Workshop.)
WHAT: Day-long Workshops and Comprehensives
WORKSHOPS: $240 (members); $275 (non-members)*
There are five Workshops for you to choose from. Workshops provide an opportunity for you to dig deep into your chosen topic with acclaimed authors and expert publishing professionals. The fee includes a buffet lunch and a first-page critique session (submission guidelines below under FIRST PAGE CRITIQUES).
Comprehensives are limited to 25 attendees (Illustrator Comprehensive 20 attendees) and are a separate cost from Workshops. A star-studded faculty lineup spends an extra day focusing on the craft of writing or illustrating. The fee includes a buffet lunch and a first-page critique session (see submission guidelines under First Page Critiques). Participants must be SCBWI members.
EXTRA-EARLY REGISTRATION CONTEST: Register for the comprehensives and/or workshops by April 30, 2017, and be entered to WIN bookbags, books, and critiques!
*Note: All fees increase $25 at midnight on Friday, May 12, 2017.
WHEN: Friday, June 16, 9-5 p.m. (Comprehensives)
Saturday, June 17, 8:30-4 p.m. (Workshops)
WHERE: Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel
1500 Epcot Resorts Boulevard
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
Hotel costs for workshop attendees: $161 a night, plus $10 resort fee and tax.**
**Note: Hotel prices increase on Wednesday, May 24, 2017. Reserve now!
(Call reservations at 1-800-227-1500 (Monday-Friday from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Mention the SCB17 group code or the SCBWI name to receive the special group rate.) Self-parking is $10 a day for SCBWI. Carpooling is encouraged.
COMPREHENSIVES (9-5 p.m.) Choose One
Picture Book Comprehensive: Presented by Toni Buzzeo and Rubin Pfeffer
Novel Comprehensive: Presented by Henry Neff, Bruce Hale, and Francesco Sedita
Illustrator Comprehensive: Presented by James Ransome and Lucy Ruth Cummins
WORKSHOPS (8:30-4 p.m.) Choose One
Picture Book: Presented by James Ransome, Lesa Cline-Ransome, Lucy Ruth Cummins, and Rubin Pfeffer
Middle Grade: Presented by Matthew Ringer and Henry Neff
Young Adult Track: Presented by Lexa Hillyer and Tiffany Liao
Humor: Presented by Bruce Hale and Francesco Sedita
Novels in Verse: Presented by Alma Fullerton and Harold Underdown
Click here to learn more about our fabulous faculty.
HOW: Registration and Payment (Two easy ways.)
Register online here.
Snail mail: Click 2017 Orlando Snail Mail Form to download form. Please print, fill out, and send with check to: SCBWI-FL, 125 E. Merritt Island Causeway, Suite 107, Box #266, Merritt Island, FL 32952
Attendees have an opportunity to have their work critiqued by a published writer, agent, or editor for a $50 fee. IMPORTANT: Please read all the details below to ensure you understand the rules and have the best experience with your critique.
***The deadline for all critiques is midnight, May 12, 2017***
1) SEND AS AN ATTACHMENT, ONE manuscript per email in .DOC format (up to 10 pp). You must FOLLOW FORMATING GUIDELINES (see "From Keyboard to Printed Page: Facts You Need to Know" at http://www.scbwi.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/From-Keyboard_2014.pdf.
2) If you are submitting multiple manuscripts or the same manuscript more than once, SEND EACH ONE ATTACHED TO A SEPARATE EMAIL.
3) The cost is $50 per manuscript critique. Pay online when you register. Or if you register by mail or add manuscripts after you register, send your check, payable to SCBWI Florida, to: SCBWI-FL, 125 E. Merritt Island Causeway, Suite 107, Box #266, Merritt Island, FL 32952.
4) If you are submitting a novel, please submit the FIRST 10 pages. If you want to submit a synopsis of the novel along with your pages, the full submission MUST BE NO LONGER THAN 10 PAGES TOTAL.
5) Although picture book manuscripts may have fewer than 10 pages, each one counts as a separate submission.
6) Send to email@example.com with the subject line as YOUR NAME, TITLE OF THE BOOK, CATEGORY, GENRE, and either WIP (Work in Progress) or COMPLETE. For example: J.K. Rowling, The Sorceror’s Stone, MG, Fantasy, Complete.
7) In the body of the email, please tell us who has critiqued your manuscript before, i.e., critiquers at previous conferences, members of your critique group who might be critiquing at our conference, etc. Also, if you have an agent and/or have been traditionally published, please let us know. This will help us make a better match for you.
8) If there is something you want your critiquer to know, i.e., biographical information or info regarding the fact that your manuscript is part of a series, DO NOT WRITE IT IN THE BODY OF THE EMAIL, include it as part of your ten pages.
9) Submissions must be emailed by midnight May 12, 2017. You will receive an automatic reply when you send in your manuscript. Closer to the conference, you will receive an email letting you know who will be critiquing your manuscript and at what time. CRITIQUES ARE DONE ONLY ON SATURDAY AFTER THE WORKSHOPS.
10) We do NOT honor requests for specific critiquers.
1) Illustrators, if you’d like a professional critique of your portolio, sketch dummy, or finished art samples for a picture book, you MUST send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: SCBWI Florida Artwork/Portfolio Review by May 12, 2017, stating that you want to be scheduled for a critique.
2) The cost is $50 per critique. Pay online when you register. If you register by mail or add a critique after you register, send your check, payable to SCBWI Florida, to: SCBWI Florida, 125 E. Merritt Island Causeway, Suite 107, Box #266, Merritt Island, FL 32952.
3) Bring your artwork/portfolio to the workshop on Saturday, June 17. Do NOT mail your art ahead of time.
4) You will receive an email in advance as to who will be critiquing your work and at what time. CRITIQUES ARE DONE ONLY ON SATURDAY AFTER THE WORKSHOPS.
DONATIONS TO BOOK BASKET
Bring a new or gently-used children’s or YA book to be donated to an organization dedicated to enabling all young people, especially those from disadvantaged circumstances, to realize their full potential. Books may be dropped off at the registration desk.
Our meet-and-greet, the Elixir Mixer and Silent Auction (which also has a live-auction component and cash bar), will be held on Friday, June 16, at the Dolphin Hotel in Room: Asia 1. Our auction is open to all workshop attendees and their guests, as well as SCBWI members not attending the workshops. Items for auction include original works of art, fun craft items, photography, fantastic writing courses, critiques, and more. To donate an auction item, please contact Larissa Hardesty at email@example.com.
Bring the first page of your manuscript, double-spaced, 12-pt. type, one page only (starting at the top of page) to your workshop or comprehensive. Include the title of the piece and genre at the top. No name. Presenters will select a few anonymous submissions to read aloud and critiqued. If your submission was read aloud at a Comprehensive, please submit a different piece for your workshop. All submissions will be recycled afterwards.
Presenters often assign homework ahead of time. Watch our website at florida.scbwi.org and our Facebook site for updates. In addition, e-mail blasts are often sent out with homework assignments. Please read and do the homework in order to get the most out of your comprehensive or workshop.
The following is a list of all meals included with your registration: Friday Lunch: Buffet is included for all comprehensive attendees & faculty. Saturday Lunch: Buffet is included for all workshop attendees & faculty. Please let Linda Bernfeld at lindabernfeld@gmail know if you have any food allergies or special food needs.
Add our SCBWI Florida Mid-Year Workshops 2017 pin to your collection! Each year, we feature a different illustrator, and proceeds from the sale help finance free events around Florida. Pins are $5 each.
Illustrators: Take advantage of table space provided for you to exhibit your portfolio. Bring plenty of handouts and display props (such as a tabletop easel). Original art is not permitted, as SCBWI cannot be responsible for any loss or damage. Drop off illustrator portfolios on Saturday, June 17, before 8:30 a.m. You will be directed to the tables near registration. Please reserve your space by contacting Linda Shute firstname.lastname@example.org by June 1, 2017 if you want to display your portfolio.
For FAQs click: here
Otherwise, contact SCBWI Co-Regional Advisors:
Linda Rodriguez Bernfeld at LindaBernfeld@gmail.com
Dorian Cirrone at Dcirrone@aol.com
SALES OF BOOKS
Faculty and SCBWI members attending the conference may sell their books through our on-site bookseller, Bookmark It. Contact Candice Wolff at email@example.com with your book titles/ISBN numbers by April 30, 2017. PAL (Published and Listed) members are eligible to sell two books. (Please visit www.scbwi.org to ensure your publisher is PAL-approved.) Self-published authors and those whose publishers who do not allow returns may sell one book. Those authors should contact Candice Wolff to find out who to speak to at Bookmark It to work out an agreement to sell on consignment at the conference. The conference bookstore will be open Friday through Saturday.