(Please read carefully in order to get the most from your experience.)
WHAT: Day-long Workshops and Intensives
WORKSHOPS: $250 (members); $280 (non-members)*
There are five Workshops for you to choose from (PB, MG, YA, Science Fiction/Fantasy, and TBA). Workshops provide an opportunity for you to dig deep into your chosen topic with acclaimed authors and expert publishing professionals. The fee includes a buffet lunch and a first-page critique session (submission guidelines below under FIRST PAGE CRITIQUES).
Intensives are limited to 25 attendees (Illustrator Intensive 20 attendees) and are a separate cost from Workshops. A star-studded faculty lineup spends an extra day focusing on the craft of writing or illustrating. The fee includes a buffet lunch and a first-page critique session (see submission guidelines under First Page Critiques). Participants must be SCBWI members.
*All fees increase $25 at 11:59 p.m. on Friday, May 11, 2018.
EXTRA-EARLY REGISTRATION CONTEST: Register for the intensives and/or workshops by 11:59 p.m. on Monday, April 30, 2018, and be entered to WIN bookbags, books, and critiques!
NOTE: There are no refunds for cancellations.
Scroll down to HOW to register.
WHEN: Friday, June 15, 9-5 p.m. (Intensives)
Check-in from 8-9 a.m.
Saturday, June 16, 9:00-4 p.m. (Workshops)**
Check-in from 7-8:30 a.m.
**(8:30- 9 a.m. all groups in large room; 4-4:30 p.m. closing remarks in large room)
WHERE: Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel
1500 Epcot Resorts Boulevard
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
Hotel costs for workshop attendees: $167 a night, plus $10 resort fee and tax.***
***Note: Hotel prices will increase on Saturday, May 21, 2018.
Call the hotel at 1-800-227-1500 and say you are with the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators to get the discounted rate. Or register by clicking here:
INTENSIVES (9-5 p.m.) Choose One (See sidebar on website for links to Agendas and Homework)
Picture Book Intensive: Presented by Alexandra Penfold, Michael Stearns, and Liz Garton Scanlon
Note for PB Intensive registrants: You MUST register and send a picture book manuscript (no more than 500 words) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 p.m. May 15, 2018 to be eligible for this Intensive. This intensive will be limited to 20 participants. THIS INTENSIVE IS NOW SOLD OUT!!
Novel Intensive: Presented by Lisa Yee, Kait Feldmann, and Janice Hardy
Illustrator Intensive: Presented by Floyd Coooper and Nancy Brennan
WORKSHOPS (9-4 p.m.) Choose One (See sidebar on website for links to Agendas on Homework)
Picture Book: Presented by Floyd Cooper, Liz Garton Scanlon, Kait Feldmann, and Nancy Brennan
Middle Grade: Presented by Alexandra Penfold, Lisa Yee, and Tricia Lin
Young Adult Track: Presented by Kat Brzozowski and Siobhan Vivian
Science Fiction/Fantasy: Presented by Janice Hardy and Michael Stearns
Click here for faculty bios.
HOW: Registration and Payment (Two easy ways.)
To register online, click here.
To register by snail mail, click SCBWI-FL 2018 Orlando Mid-Year Workshop Snail Mail Form and print out form.
Note: You must register separately for the hotel by calling the phone number listed above in the Where section.
Attendees have an opportunity to have their work critiqued by a published writer, agent, or editor for a $60 fee. IMPORTANT: Please read all the details below to ensure you understand the rules and have the best experience with your critique.
***The deadline for all critiques is 11:59 p.m. Friday, May 11, 2018***
1) SEND AS AN ATTACHMENT, ONE manuscript per email in .DOC format (up to 10 pp). You must FOLLOW FORMATING GUIDELINES (see “From Keyboard to Printed Page: Facts You Need to Know” at https://www.scbwi.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/From-Keyboard_2014.pdf.
2) If you are submitting multiple manuscripts or the same manuscript more than once, SEND EACH ONE ATTACHED TO A SEPARATE EMAIL.
3) The cost is $60 per manuscript critique. Pay online when you register. Or if you register by mail or add manuscripts after you register, send your check, payable to SCBWI Florida, to: SCBWI-FL, 125 E. Merritt Island Causeway, Suite 107, Box #266, Merritt Island, FL 32952.
4) If you are submitting a novel, please submit the FIRST 10 pages. If you want to submit a synopsis of the novel along with your pages, the full submission MUST BE NO LONGER THAN 10 PAGES TOTAL.
5) Although picture book manuscripts may have fewer than 10 pages, each one counts as a separate submission.
6) Send to email@example.com with the subject line as YOUR NAME, TITLE OF THE BOOK, CATEGORY, GENRE, and either WIP (Work in Progress) or COMPLETE. For example: J.K. Rowling, The Sorceror’s Stone, MG, Fantasy, Complete.
7) In the body of the email, please tell us who has critiqued your manuscript before, i.e., critiquers at previous conferences, members of your critique group who might be critiquing at our conference, etc. Also, if you have an agent and/or have been traditionally published, please let us know. This will help us make a better match for you.
8) If there is something you want your critiquer to know, i.e., biographical information or info regarding the fact that your manuscript is part of a series, DO NOT WRITE IT IN THE BODY OF THE EMAIL, include it as part of your ten pages.
9) Submissions must be emailed by 11:59 on Friday May 11, 2018. You will receive an automatic reply when you send in your manuscript. Closer to the conference, you will receive an email letting you know who will be critiquing your manuscript and at what time. CRITIQUES ARE DONE ON SATURDAY AFTER THE WORKSHOPS FROM 4:45-7 p.m.
10) We do NOT honor requests for specific critiquers.
1) Illustrators, if you’d like a professional critique of your portolio, sketch dummy, or finished art samples for a picture book, you MUST send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: SCBWI Florida Artwork/Portfolio Review by 11:59 p.m. May 11, 2018, stating that you want to be scheduled for a critique.
2) The cost is $60 per critique. Pay online when you register. If you register by mail or add a critique after you register, send your check, payable to SCBWI Florida, to: SCBWI Florida, 125 E. Merritt Island Causeway, Suite 107, Box #266, Merritt Island, FL 32952.
3) Bring your artwork/portfolio to the workshop on Saturday, June 16. Do NOT mail your art ahead of time.
4) You will receive an email in advance as to who will be critiquing your work and at what time.
DONATIONS TO BOOK BASKET
Bring a new or gently-used children’s or YA book to be donated to the Literacy Alliance in Central Florida. The mission of The Literacy Alliance is to encourage Central Florida residents to reach their highest potential by increasing literacy through diverse educational resources, programs, and training opportunities. Marked boxes or baskets will be at the check-in desk.
Our meet-and-greet, the Elixir Mixer and Silent Auction (which also has a live-auction component and cash bar), will be held on Friday, June 15, at the Dolphin Hotel. Our auction is open to all workshop attendees and their guests, as well as SCBWI members not attending the workshops. Items for auction include original works of art, fun craft items, photography, fantastic writing courses, critiques, and more. To donate an auction item, please contact Larissa Hardesty at email@example.com.
Bring the first page of your manuscript, double-spaced, 12-pt. type, one page only (starting at the top of page) to your workshop or intensive. Include the title of the piece and genre at the top. No name. Presenters will select a few anonymous submissions to be read aloud and critiqued. If your submission was read aloud at an intensive, please submit a different piece for your workshop. All submissions will be recycled afterwards. NOT ALL FIRST PAGES WILL BE READ.
Presenters often assign homework ahead of time. Watch our website at florida.scbwi.org and our Facebook site for updates. In addition, e-mails will be sent out with homework assignments from our Mailchimp account. Please open them and do the homework in order to get the most out of your intensive or workshop.
The following is a list of all meals included with your registration: Friday Lunch: Buffet is included for all intensives attendees & faculty. Saturday Lunch: Buffet is included for all workshop attendees & faculty. Please let Linda Bernfeld at lindabernfeld@gmail know if you have any food allergies or special food needs.
Saturday, June 16, from 4:45-6:15 p.m. This will be an unstructured talk about the professional aspects of writing for children open to PAL members who would like to share information.
Add our SCBWI Florida Mid-Year Workshops 2018 pin to your collection! Each year, we feature a different illustrator, and proceeds from the sale help finance free events around Florida. Pins are $5 each.
Illustrators: Take advantage of table space provided for you to exhibit your portfolio. Bring plenty of handouts and display props (such as a tabletop easel). Original art is not permitted, as SCBWI cannot be responsible for any loss or damage. Drop off illustrator portfolios on Saturday, June 17, before 8:30 a.m. and pick up before 4: 30 p.m. You will be directed to the tables near registration. Please reserve your space by contacting Linda Shute firstname.lastname@example.org by June 1, 2018 if you want to display your portfolio.
For FAQs click: here
Otherwise, contact SCBWI Co-Regional Advisors:
Linda Rodriguez Bernfeld: email@example.com
Dorian Cirrone: firstname.lastname@example.org
For illustrator questions contact Linda Shute: email@example.com
SALES OF BOOKS
Faculty and SCBWI members attending the Workshop may sell their books through our on-site bookseller. Contact Mimi Powell at firstname.lastname@example.org with your book titles/ISBN numbers by May 15, 2018. PAL (Published and Listed) members are eligible to sell two books. (Please visit https://www.scbwi.org/list-of-pal-publishers/ for SCBWI’s list of PAL publishers.) Self-published authors and non-PAL members may sell one book. If your books are self-published or your publisher does not accept returns, please contact Mimi Powell to find out who to speak to at the bookstore to work out an agreement to sell on consignment at the conference. The bookstore will be open Friday and Saturday.
For up-to-date information on everything, visit our Facebook page, Twitter page, and our Website often.