- Access to SCBWI’s THE BOOK
This online publication contains a wealth of information about children’s publishing, including up-to-date information in the section “Edited By,” which lists editors and what they have recently acquired (p. 95), and an Agent’s Directory, which lists agents specializing in our field (p. 145).
- SCBWI BookStop
A yearly online site, which can attract more than 100,000 readers to your book.
- Free workshops on various Saturdays around the state:
We have workshops in the Tampa Bay, South Florida, Orlando, Gainesville, and North Florida areas. Watch for meeting announcements on our website, Facebook, Twitter, and in our newsletter and email blasts.
This is an opportunity for PAL* authors to have their books on a list that is distributed to libraries, bookstores, and schools across the country. See the most recent list here: https://www.scbwi.org/readinglist/
- Awards and Grants Opportunities:
– Eight work-in-progress grants, which creates a direct line from your work to publishers’ eyes.
– A marketing grant for SCBWI published members that provides money to launch your new book.
– Florida SCBWI sponsors the Rising Kite Contest in the fall. Watch our website and Facebook page for announcements. First place winners in each category win a free intensive.
– Get information about awards such as the Crystal Kite (regional), Golden Kite (national), Spark Award (self-published books for children) as well as many more you might be eligible for: https://www.scbwi.org/awards/
- Artist Opportunities:
Showcase art at the Bologna Book Fair’s SCBWI display and on the International SCBWI Illustrator Gallery website: https://www.scbwi.org/illustrator-gallery/
- Participation in critique groups:
Various critique groups meet around the state. For more information see our website at: https://florida.scbwi.org/critique-groups/ or contact: email@example.com
- Mentorship program:
Find out how you can hire an experienced writer or editor to critique your manuscript and provide insight on how to take your work to a new level:
- Networking online with other writers:
SCBWI Florida Twitter: https://twitter.com/SCBWI_Florida
SCBWI Florida Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/29761795185/?ref=bookmarks
SCBWI Blueboards: https://www.scbwi.org/boards/
- Free publications:
Receive the SCBWI Bulletin quarterly in the mail and Insight online monthly. As a Florida member you also receive email blasts giving you information on all our programs.
Click here for the latest conversations with industry luminaries: https://www.scbwi.org/online-resources/podcasts/
*Published and Listed: (See Frequently Asked Questions link to learn about PAL.)