Attendees may send in up to ten pages of a manuscript for a paid critique on Saturday. Please read all of these guidelines to ensure you have the best experience.
1) SEND AS AN ATTACHMENT, ONE manuscript per email in .DOC format (up to 10 pp). You must FOLLOW FORMATTING GUIDELINES (see “From Keyboard to Printed Page: Facts You Need to Know” at https://www.scbwi.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/From-Keyboard_2014.pdf.
2) If you are submitting multiple manuscripts or the same manuscript more than once, SEND EACH ONE ATTACHED TO A SEPARATE EMAIL.
3) The cost is $60 per critique. Pay online when you register. Or if you register by mail or add manuscripts after you register, send your check, payable to SCBWI Florida, to: SCBWI Florida, 125 E. Merritt Island Causeway, Suite 107, Box #266, Merritt Island, FL 32952.
4) If you are submitting a novel, please submit the FIRST 10 pages. If you want to submit a synopsis of the novel along with your pages, the full submission MUST BE NO LONGER THAN 10 PAGES TOTAL. If your novel is finished, we suggest you include a synopsis so your critiquer can give you the best critique. The synopsis must also be double-spaced.
5) Although picture book manuscripts may have fewer than 10 pages, each one counts as a separate submission. Poems in collections or verse novels may be single-spaced with double-spacing between poems but with no more than 250 words per page.
6) Send to email@example.com with the subject line as YOUR NAME, TITLE OF THE BOOK, CATEGORY (PB, MG, YA, or POETRY) GENRE (Fantasy, Contemporary, etc.), and either WIP (Work in Progress) or COMPLETE. For example: J.K. Rowling, The Sorceror’s Stone, MG, Fantasy, Complete.
7) In the body of the email, please tell us who has critiqued your manuscript before, i.e., critiquers at previous conferences, members of your critique group who might be critiquing at our conference, etc. Also, if you have an agent and/or have been traditionally published, please let us know. This helps us make the best match.
8) If there is something you want your critiquer to know, i.e., biographical information or info regarding the fact that your manuscript is part of a series, DO NOT WRITE IT IN THE BODY OF THE EMAIL, include it as part of your ten pages. Only the ten pages are forwarded to the critiquers.
9) Submissions must be emailed by midnight December 7, 2018. You will receive an automatic reply when you send in your manuscript. Closer to the conference, you will receive an email letting you know who will be critiquing your manuscript and at what time. Critiques are done on Saturday from 4:30-6:45 PM unless otherwise specified.
10) We CANNOT honor requests for specific critiquers or specific time slots. Every effort will be made to match you with a critiquer who specializes in your category and genre.
1) Illustrators, if you’d like a professional critique of your artwork, you MUST send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: SCBWI Florida Portfolio Review or Dummy Review by midnight December 7, 2018, stating that you want to be scheduled for a critique.
2) The cost is $60 per critique. Pay online when you register. Or if you register by mail, send your check, payable to SCBWI Florida, to: SCBWI Florida, 125 E. Merritt Island Causeway, Suite 107, Box #266, Merritt Island, FL 32952.
3) Bring your portfolio or dummy to the workshop on Saturday, January 19, at your scheduled time. Do NOT mail your art ahead of time.
4) You will receive an email in advance as to who will be critiquing your porfolio or dummy and at what time. Critiques are done on Saturday from 4:30-6:45 PM unless otherwise specified.