DEADLINE FOR PAYING AND SENDING MANUSCRIPTS OR REQUESTS FOR ART CRITIQUES IS DEC. 5, 2019 AT 11:59 PM
MANUSCRIPTS (DEADLINE DEC. 5, 2019, 11:59PM)
Attendees may send in up to ten pages of a manuscript for a paid critique on Saturday. Please read all of these guidelines to ensure you have the best experience.
1) SEND AS AN ATTACHMENT, ONE manuscript per email in .DOC format (up to 10 pp). You must FOLLOW FORMATTING GUIDELINES (see “From Keyboard to Printed Page: Facts You Need to Know” at https://www.scbwi.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/From-Keyboard_2014.pdf.
2) If you are submitting multiple manuscripts or the same manuscript more than once, SEND EACH ONE ATTACHED TO A SEPARATE EMAIL.
3) The cost is $60 per critique. Pay online when you register. Or if you register by snail mail, send your check, payable to SCBWI Florida, to: SCBWI Florida, 13200 SW 32nd Court, Davie, FL 33330. YOU MUST REGISTER AND PAY FOR YOUR CRITIQUES BEFORE THE SUBMISSION DEADLINE! NO MANUSCRIPTS WILL BE ASSIGNED TO A CRITIQUER UNLESS THEY ARE PAID FOR BY THE DEC. 5, 2019 (11:59 PM) DEADLINE.
4) If you are submitting a novel, please submit the FIRST 10 pages. If you want to submit a synopsis of the novel along with your pages, the full submission MUST BE NO LONGER THAN 10 PAGES TOTAL. If your novel is finished, we suggest you include a synopsis so your critiquer can give you the best critique. The synopsis must also be double-spaced.
5) Although picture book manuscripts may have fewer than 10 pages, each one counts as a separate submission. Poems in collections or verse novels may be single-spaced with double-spacing between poems but with no more than 250 words per page.
6) Send to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line as YOUR NAME, TITLE OF THE BOOK, CATEGORY (PB, MG, YA, or POETRY) GENRE (Fantasy, Contemporary, etc.), and either WIP (Work in Progress) or COMPLETE. For example: J.K. Rowling, The Sorcerer’s Stone, MG, Fantasy, Complete.
7) In the body of the email, please tell us who has critiqued your manuscript before, i.e., critiquers at previous conferences or members of your critique group who might be critiquing at our conference. Also, if you have an agent and/or have been traditionally published, please let us know. This helps us make the best match.
8) If there is something you want your critiquer to know, i.e., biographical information or info regarding the fact that your manuscript is part of a series, DO NOT WRITE IT IN THE BODY OF THE EMAIL, include it as part of your ten pages. Only the ten pages are forwarded to the critiquers.
9) Submissions must be emailed by December 5, 2019 at 11:59 PM. You will receive an automatic reply when you send in your manuscript. Closer to the conference, you will receive an email letting you know who will be critiquing your manuscript and at what time. Critiques are done on Saturday from 4:30-6:45 PM unless otherwise specified. There are no exceptions.
10) We CANNOT honor requests for specific critiquers or specific time slots. Every effort will be made to match you with a critiquer who specializes in your category and genre.
ARTWORK/PORTFOLIOS (DEADLINE DEC. 5, 2019, 11:59PM)
1) Illustrators, if you’d like a professional critique of your artwork, you MUST send an email to email@example.com with the subject line: SCBWI Florida Portfolio Review or Dummy Review by December 5, 2019 at 11:59 PM, stating that you want to be scheduled for a critique.
2) The cost is $60 per critique. Pay online when you register. Or if you register by snail mail, send your check, payable to SCBWI Florida, to: SCBWI Florida, 13200 SW 32nd Court, Davie, FL 33330. YOU MUST REGISTER AND PAY FOR YOUR CRITIQUES BEFORE THE SUBMISSION DEADLINE! NO PORTFOLIO/DUMMY CRITIQUE REQUESTS WILL BE ASSIGNED TO A CRITIQUER UNLESS THEY ARE PAID FOR BY THE DEC. 5, 2019 (11:59 PM) DEADLINE.
3) Bring your portfolio or dummy to the workshop on Saturday, January 18, at your scheduled time. Do NOT mail your art ahead of time.
4) You will receive an email in advance as to who will be critiquing your portfolio or dummy and at what time. Critiques are done on Saturday from 4:30-6:45 PM unless otherwise specified.
All of Erin Murphy’s spots have been filled. Thanks for your enthusiasm.
ON-THE-SPOT, ONE-ON-ONE, PITCH CRITIQUES WITH AGENT ERIN MURPHY (FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED)
This is a one-time only opportunity for 8 lucky people to have their pitches critiqued by Agent Erin Murphy. Due to time constraints, we only have 8 slots. The first 8 people who register, pay the $60 Pitch Critique fee, and check the box: On-the-Spot Pitch Critique With Erin Murphy on the registration page will be scheduled. Pitch critiques will take place during the regular critique times between 4:30-6:45 PM on Saturday, Jan. 18. Once we reach 8 critiques, we will remove the selection from the registration page. If you are one of the first 8 people, we will be in touch to let you know your time slot. Bring your pitch with you to the critique. There’s no need to send it in.